Many wonder how eating or not eating certain foods affect the chances of conceiving. It is important not to overlook the influence of diet on fertility. Eating healthy, with or without fertility treatments, can increase your chances of becoming pregnant.
A lifestyle modification to lose weight has been very effective especially for those with BMI greater than 25. Chances of getting pregnant can be increased by just losing 5-10% of the total body weight.
General guidelines for a healthy diet are:
- Reduction or elimination of harmful fats
- Saturated fats like butter, ghee and cheese
- Trans fats usually in fried food and processed snacks (chips, chocolates and sweets)
- Consumption of good fats such as olive oil, nuts and seeds and omega 3&6 ( available in lean meat and fish)
- Replacing simple carbohydrates like white bread and pasta with more complex ones from whole wheat and vegetables.
- Including enough healthy proteins in your diet such as in eggs, lean meat, chicken breast, milk and fish. As for vegetarian protein is available in foods like beans, chick pea, lentil, tofu, hemp seeds and green peas, oats and soy milk.
- Increasing consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits
- Avoiding foods that are high in mercury (as it can increase the risk of miscarriage) especially certain fish such as Swordfish, tuna, red snapper, shark and king mackerel and sushi.
- Supplementation: it is recommended to take a prenatal formula with special focus on folic acid to be started 3 months before conceiving as it helps reduce the risk of fetal defects.
Avoid smoking and alcohol.
In addition to the above physical activity is crucial, as it will not only help with losing weight but it will improves blood circulation to different body organs, improve the mood and reduce stress.
Meditation is also recommended on a daily basis to help relax the mind and body, few minutes a day can be refreshing and help one focus more and think more clearly in addition to physical effects like reducing blood pressure and stress. Meditation doesn’t require any special equipment or fancy places, whatever makes you calm and happy will work e.g. Yoga, prayers, listening to music or Qur’an, breathing …etc.
Those are general tips; for more personalized diet plans and professional help, you can contact our dieticians and psychologists at health plus.